Coming Soon

No events

Newsflash

Please take note.
The RWM and Brethren of the Celtic Lodge E & L 291 would like wish everyone the very best in 2017.
The Brethren of the Celtic Lodge 291 would like to wish all who visit our Web Page a Hundred Thousand Welcomes and we encourage all enquiries.
 
 
if your are looking for a Father, Grand Father, or Family Member, who may have been a Member of the Celtic Lodge E & L 291 or if you would like to join the Celtic Lodge 291 or have an interest in  Freemasonry please Email us and we will try to help your enquiry to Bill Boland PM Lodge Historian at johnross651@outlook.com
 
When we will be welcoming all our usual Brethren and Invited Guests and afterwards to a Harmony in our Thistle Room at Brodie's Close Lawnmarket Edinburgh.
 

Login Form

If you would like to create a log in for this site, please send a mail to secretary@thecelticlodge.org



Visitor Counter


Today:79
Yesterday:101
This Month:1759
This Year:23723
Visits Total:591300

Minutes of C L 291 from 1960 - 1965

 

  Minutes of Celtic Lodge E & L 291 from 4th October 1960

4th October 1960

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 5th and 9th April 1960 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East:

Bro Thomson RWM St James Lodge No 97.

Bro Henry Laird PM Rifle Lodge No 405 and honorary member of the Celtic Lodge.

The RWM congratulated Bro Laird the occasion of his Golden Wedding Anniversary and asked him to convey to his good Lady the good wishes of the Celtic Brethren on this occasion.

Reports: Lodge No 1283 Lodge No 392 Lodge No 4498 E C Lodge No 1375 Lodge No 1291 Lodge No 1253.

The RWM referred to the sad loss through the death of Bro Tom Robertson PM and requested in memory of our late Brother.

Bro Jack Oldroyd No 73 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due form.

18th October 1960

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 4th October 1960 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East:

Bro James RWM Lodge No 226.

Bro Stevenson GH Lodge No 26.

Bro J Hazel PM Lodge No 405.

A Deputation from Kirkliston Maitland Lodge No 482 headed by Bro Hunter RWM accompanied by 4 Brethren.

Reports: Lodge No1029 Lodge No 48.

Bro Jack Oldroyd No 73 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

The Lodge was closed in due form by Bro W J Mitchell RWM.

1st November 1960

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 18th October 1960 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East:

Bro McDonald RWM Lodge No 1283. Bro T Dickson RWM Lodge No 160.

Bro W Ritchie RWM Lodge No 393. Bro G Watt RWM Lodge No 1253.

Bro Stewart PM Lodge No 226. Bro Grozie PM Lodge No 160.

Bro S Baillie PM Bro H Laird PM Rifle Lodge.

Reports: Lodge 1735. Lodge No 160. Lodge No 2. Lodge No 392.

Mr George Inch No 75 was made an entered apprentice Freemason and welcomed by the Brethren.

The Lodge was closed in due form by Bro W J Mitchell RWM.

15th November 1960

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 1st November 1960 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East:

Bro Sneddon RWM Lodge No 937. Bro Dudgeon PM Lodge No 226.

Bro Cormark PM Lodge No 150 Madras E C.

Reports: Lodge No 1283. Lodge No 2. Eldon Lodge No 3187 Newcastle The RWM referred to the passing of Bro Purvigan in his 86th year.

Bro George Inch No 75 was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

The Lodge was closed in due form by Bro W J Mitchell RWM.

6th December 1960

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 15th November 1960 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East:

Bro Duncan PM Lodge No 10. Bro Hazel PM Lodge No 405.

Reports: Lodge No 48. Lodge No 832. Lodge Trinity. Lodge No 1375. Lodge Arlington Arbory Lanarkshire.

Lodge No 1209. Deputation to Lodge No 937. Lodge No 392. Lodge No 1253.

Bro George Inch No 75 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

Bro D White reported that if we are unable to get the Pews removed from St John’s East some others were available from another Church.

The Lodge was closed in due form by Bro W J Mitchell RWM.

20th December 1960

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 6th December 1960 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East:

Bro C Wilkinson RWM Lodge No 226. Bro J Kelly RWM Lodge No 788. Bro L Simpson PM Lodge No 2.

Bo G Dudgeon PM Lodge No 226. Bro Stewart PM Lodge No 226.

Bro James Tilley PM Lodge No 48. Bro John Hazel PM Lodge No 405.

The Annual Certificate Charter a printed copy of the Lodge Bye Laws were laid upon the table.

Bro W J Mitchell in demitting the Office of RWM expressed the appreciation and thanks to the past master’s office bearers and brethren for their loyal support and assistance given to him during his term of office and surrendered the Mallet to Bro George Dudgeon as RWM.

The RWIM called upon the DOC to present the Master Elect Bro W Douglas White who thereafter took his oath and was placed in the chair of Solomon.

The RWM invested Bro W J Mitchell with his PM’s Jewel.

RWM William Douglas White        ME Bro George Dudgeon.

DM Bro F Calder Sibbald.

SM Bro John Strachan.

SW Bro William Grey.

JW Sidney Yeoman.

Secretary Bro Thomas King Francis.

Treasurer Bro James G Batchin.

Chaplain Br D D Hamilton PM.

SD Bro Arthur Owen Hazel.

Architect Bo George H Hunter.

Bible Bearer Bro Peter S Paton.

DOC Bro James Grant PM.

Standard Bearer Bro Stanley Smith.

DOM Bro Herbert Cormark.

Organist Bro Andrew M Ross.

Piper Bro Andrew J Ross. Marshall.

Marshall Bro David W Hall.

Physician Bro D Lyle.

Inner Guard Bro George Whittle.

Tyler Bro Alexander F Preacher.

President of Stewards Bro John Rowlands.

The RWM thanked the RWIM’s for the manner they carried through the installation ceremony.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due form by RWM Bro W Douglas White.

 

10th January 1961

Bro Alexander Bead PM reported on the up to date position of the Premises in the Lawnmarket.

The restoration schedules had been approved and were ready to go out to tenders.

It was also agreed that we apply for a further extension of the premises for another year.

 

17th January 1961

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 20thDecember 1960 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East: 

Bro W Gordon Smart RWM Canongate Kilwinning Lodge No 2.

The following attendances at Sister Lodges were reported:

Cameronian's Lodge No 1563. Canongate Kilwinning Lodge No 2. Trinity Trinity Lodge No 885. Caledonian Lodge No 392. Portobello Lodge No 226. QER Royal Scots Lodge No 1253. St John Corstorphine Lodge No 788.

Mr Thomas Kinnaird No 76 was made an entered apprentice Freemason of the Lodge signed the Roll of Members and was welcomed by the Brethren.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

7th February 1961

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 17thJanruary 1961 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East: 

The Bro DOC introduced and presented a Deputation from QER Royal Scots No 1253 headed by Bro Sangster RWM and accompanied by Bro George Watt IPM.

The following attendances at Sister Lodges were reported:

Ananimity Lodge Penrith. Roman Eagle Lodge No 160. Canongate Kilwinning Lodge No 2. Services Lodge No 1291.

Bro Thomas Kinnaird No 76 was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

21st February 1961

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The Minutes of 7thFebruary 1961 were read and approved.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren the following Brethren were invited to the East: 

Bro G Bird RWM St Clair Lodge No 349. Bro Sutherland PM St Andrew Lodge No 48. Bro Wood PM Colinton & Currie Lodge No 1029. Bro Hazel PM Rifle Lodge No 405. The following attendances at Sister Lodges were reported:

St Andrew Lodge No 48. Watsonian Lodge No 1375. RWM with a Deputation to QER Royal Scots No1253.

The RWM reported the Death of Bro John Inglis and requested the Brethren to be upstanding in Memory of their late Brother.

Bro Joseph Archbold No 173 was obligated Affiliate Member of the Celtic Lodge signed the Roll of Member and was welcomed by the Brethren.

The RWM accepted certain Masonic effects the property of the late Bro Thomas Robertson PM from his Brother in Law Bro Roch.

Bro Thomas Kinnaird No 76 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and Welcomed by the Brethren. There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

 

19th April 1961

The Committee agreed to accept these recommendations of the works committee and that we should proceed with the scheme for section 1 and parts of the Plumbing and Electrical Work to section 2 as required and that other tenders be sent to the Historic Building Council for approval a general discussion on finance took place and it was agreed that a combined meeting of the general works and finance committee be held on the 17th May 1961.

17th May 1961

A meeting of the works committee held at 57 South Clerk Street Edinburgh The RWM reported that the financial position to date the following were suggested: -

1. A £5,000.00 Pounds Bank Loan Guaranteed by Five of the Members for £1,000.00 Pounds each.

2. Investigate as to a Church of Scotland Loan Scheme £5.00 Pound Bearer Bonds 2/3 of the valuation insurers.

3. Lottery Scheme to obtain details Brother Mitchell’s £200.00 Pound Premium Bonds in the name of the Master or a Corporation Loan.

It was agreed that we go ahead with the Premium Bonds Scheme and that brother Seaton and Brother Hogan find out the possibility of raising a Loan It was also agreed to accept the tenders and go ahead with the work in section1 as soon as financial arrangements are completed in 2 to 3 Weeks time.

12th September 1961

The minutes of the meeting held on the 7th May 1961 were read and approved.

1. The offer of a Private Loan by the Lodge Members withdrawn because of the Chancellors new financial restrictions.

2. Industrial Loan closed for the same reason.

Brother W G Seaton reported a Loan from Edinburgh Corporation and Church of Scotland are not available.

Premium Bonds in RWM name was not pursued because of Legal difficulties Bearer Bonds of say £5.00 Pounds still open for consideration Brother Bade reported on the position of the

 

Lawnmarket Building also that he had an interview with Mr Patrick Manager of Morningside Branch of Bank of Scotland that we make a formal application for an overdraft or a Loan. He said that he would put the matter before the Head Office Brother Treasure said we should transfer all funds to Mr Patrick’s Bank.

23rd October 1961

The Secretary reported that he contacted Grand Lodge re-deed of Covenant Scheme it was confirmed as Brother Hiddleston had stated at a previous meeting that a Deed of Covenant could only be drawn up for a charitable purpose Brother Bade reported that to date approx £1,000.00 Pounds had been paid for work done in the Lawnmarket Premises It was agreed Brother Treasurer was instructed to leave funds in National savings meantime.

Brother Seaton indicated on behalf of Brother R Hogan that a Brewery was prepared to offer us £2,000.00 or £3,000.00 Pounds at 5 ½ % for 10 to 20 years on condition we sold only their beer it was agreed that a Deputation of the RWM Brothers Seaton and Hogan should investigate Brother Bade and the committee approved the alterations of the Ceiling in the Chapel and get estimates for refectory floor this was agreed.

30th October 1961

The offer of a Loan was made by United Brewer Ltd and the meeting had not been arranged and a general meeting of the Lodge to be held at Charlotte Square Chamber of Commerce on Monday 27th November 1961 at 7.30pm.

The RWM Intimated that letters from Committee Members with suggestions for a circular to be sent to the Members. It was agreed that the Sub-committee to deal with this circular should also state that the General Meeting of the Lodge be held  in the Charlotte Square Chamber of Commerce on Monday the 27th November 1961 at 7.30 pm the Secretary was instructed to book the room.

 

Arrangements for the Lodge Draw where reported by the RWM and it was agreed the Draw should take place on the 8th December 1961 at our annual Dance. Bro Alexander Bade reported on the Sale of Work held in Central Hall a sum been raised of £150.00. It was agreed that the RWM send a personal letter of thanks to the Ladies Committee to express the grateful thanks for all their hard work.

 

7th November 1961.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to all the visiting Brethren and the following distinguished visitors were presented to the East:

Worshipful Bro D B Hendrikson Past Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge of Australia.

Bro D M Robertson RWM of Cameronian Lodge No1563.

Bro G Dudgeon PM Portobello Lodge No 226.

Bro D of C introduced and presented a Deputation from Services Lodge No 1291 headed by their RWM Bro N Bruce.

Bro Jeffrey Tyler Hunter No 80, Harry Seddon No 79 and Adam Hull Malcolm No 81 were passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

21st November 1961. 

The RWM accompanied Seven of the Brethren on a Deputation to the Eldon Lodge No 3187 Newcastle Upon Tyne on the 17th November 1961. 

Bro Jeffrey Tyler Hunter No 80, Harry Seddon No 79 and Adam Hull Malcolm No 81 were raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Masons and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

19th December 1961.

The RWIM declared all Offices vacant and appointed hid Installation Team.

Bro F Calder Sibbald took the oath and was installed in the Chair of Solomon.

The RWM Presented Brother Wm A Grieg with the Jewel of IPM.

The RWM nominated Brother James R Sibbald as his Depute.

Brother James Hiddleston PM proceeded to install the following Office Bearers.

Brother James R Sibbald PM

Depute Master

Brother William Greig

Substitute Master

Brother Sidney Yeoman 

Senior Warden

Brother Arthur Owen Hazel

Junior Warden

Brother Thomas King Francis

Secretary

Brother George H Sankey PM

Treasurer

Brother David Hamilton PM

Almoner

Brother James Wight

Chaplain

Brother George Whittle

Senior Deacon

Brother Stanley Smith

Junior Deacon

Brother Stanley Smith

Architect

Brother Iain C Macmillan

Jeweller

Brother James H T Smith

Bible Bearer

Brother William Mitchell PM

Director of Ceremonies

Brother Alex Bade

Poet Laureate

Brother George Melrose

Standard Bearer

Brother William White

Standard Bearer

Brother William McNeil

Sword Bearer

Brother George Hunter

Director of Music

Brother Andrew M Ross

Organist

Brother Andrew J Ross

Piper

Brother Thomas Kinnard

Marshal

Brother George Whittle

Inner Guard

Brother Alexander F Preacher

Tyler

Brother John Rowlands

President of Stewards

The RWIM then Address the RWM Wardens and Brethren and Presented the Mallet to the RWM.

The Distinguished Brethren Retired to the Harmony Hall.

 

16th January 1962.

The RWM intimated that the Annual Burns Supper would be held on Tuesday 30th January 1962 at 7.30pm. Tickets 7/6d.

Mr Eric William Hume No 74 was made an Entered Apprentice Freemason and Welcomed by the Brethren.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

 

6th February 1962.

Mr William Robertson Ellis No 82 was made an Entered Apprentice Freemason and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

20th February 1962.

Bro Ernie William Hume No 74 was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

The RWM intimated that a Jumble Sale would be held in the Roman Eagle Hall on Saturday the 10th April 1962.

 

6th March 1962.

The Minutes of the meeting held on 20th February 1962 were read and approved.

Bro Adam Hill Malcolm No 81 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

The RWM intimated that the Lawnmarket Premises would be open for visiting to Members and their friends on Saturday 10th March at 3.pm.

The RWM also announced that the Sum of £42. was raised at the Jumble Sale in aid of the Building Fund the RWM thanked all who were involved in raising the Funds.

 

20th March 1962.

This was the evening of the Mark Degree Bro William Mitchell RWMM conferred the Mark Degree on Bro Abraham Clark M Cargill No 79 and Adam hill Malcolm No 81 and they were welcomed by the Brethren.

Bro T Law RWM of Ballingirie Lodge presented the Celtic Lodge with a Sword to be used in our New Premises and wished the Celtic Lodge every success when they went into the Lawnmarket.

The RWM accepting the gift thanked Bro T Law for the very handsome Sword he understood was over 200 years Old and was suitably engraved to mark this occasion. There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

 

26th March 1962

Brother Bade reported that the Lawnmarket could be completed by the end of August after discussion it was advisable to obtain their overdraft from the Bank it was agreed.

9th April 1962

The opening of Lodge Premises was discussed also a Bank Loan and furnishings needed it was agreed that we await report from finance and building committees in June so as to fix a date for the Dedication and Installation.

 

19th June 1962.

Premises in the Lawnmarket. A full report can be found on page 144 of the Minute Book 2nd February 1960 - 8th November 1965.

General Committee Meeting. Brother Treasurer reported that difficulties would arise if we had to draw up a Legal Document for the type of donation suggested.

The RWM reported that progress was being made but the PMs to record our method of working the Degrees.

The Finance Committee reported on a Meeting with Mr Patrick the Bank Manager also a Meeting with Scottish United Breweries and a Meeting with Mr Elliot Managing Director of Craigmiller Brewery. If the Committee were to accept the Title Deeds would be held by Messer Warden Bruce WS.

The RWM suggested that all meetings be Regular ie: the 1st and 3rd Tuesday in the Months October to April except January when only 1 meeting will be held on the 3rd Tuesday. Bro W D White PM proposed that our New Chapel be called The Celtic Chapel in the Lawnmarket. This was agreed.

 

17th April 1962.

 Bro Ernie William Hume No 74 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

18th September 1962.

Freemason's hall 96 George Street Edinburgh. On this date the Metropolitan District Committee of the Grand Lodge of Scotland had before it the Books of the Celtic Lodge Edinburgh and Leith No 291.

They were carefully examined and found to be well kept and in accordance with the requirements of Grand Lodge reflecting great credit for the works of the Secretary and Treasurer.

 

25th September 1962

The RWM opened the meeting of the general committee held within the Celtic Chapel in the Lawnmarket on Tuesday 25th September 1962 Present as per Lodge minute Brother Treasurer indicated that the Lawnmarket Building insurance was now increased to £20,000.00 Pounds.

Brother Swanson reported that the house committee was recommended that for the first year in our new premises we do not take on any permanent let's until we could gauge the cost of running the premises.

Brother Bade said he had received a phone call from the Ministry of works that a further grant of £1,000.00 Pounds was obtained.

Brother secretary was asked to write for an explain ion of our tenancy in No 2 until arrangements have been made with Grand Secretary re consecration of the Celtic Chapel in the Lawnmarket Bye Laws be amended in the following respects St John’s Chapel St John Street that Law 1 be deleted and the following be substituted. The Celtic Chapel in the Lawnmarket that Law 2 Tuesday + Third Thursday be added.

It was agreed that our annual dance be held in our new premises in the Lawnmarket.

 

2nd October 1962. Bro William Robertson Ellis No 82 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

9th October 1962

Brother Secretary reported that he had accepted the grant of £1,000.00 Pounds for the Lodge from the Ministry of Works the RWM read the arrangement of the Loan of £2,000.00 Pounds given by Messer Murray & Co. It was agreed this to be accepted.

 

22nd October 1962.

General Committee Meeting. Present Bro F Calder Sibbald RWM Presiding. Bro W D White IPM - Bro J Sibbald PM DM - Bro J Swanson PM - Bro William Greig SM - William McKenzie Reid PM - J Grant PM - Alex Bade PM - William Seaton PM - Bro D D Hamilton PM - Bro Sidney Yeoman WSW - Bro G Sankey PM Treasurer - Bro T K Francis Secretary - A Ross - J Strachen - J Rowlands - D Lyle.

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 9th October 1962 were read and approved.

Matters arising. Date of Consecration of the Chapel.

The Secretary reported that Grand Lodge Secretary had not yet been able to fix up a definite date but it might probably be early January. It was agreed that no Lodge meetings be held in the Chapel until it was Consecrated and bro Secretary was asked to contact Grand Lodge Secretary for a definite date to be fixed as soon as possible.

Copies of Consecration Service held in St David's Chapel were passed round the Members and a charge of £1. be set for the supper tickets. It was also agreed that the Top Table expenses on this occasion be met by the Lodge Funds.

Bro A Ross proposed that a Mural be purchased and hung in the refectory. It was agreed.

 

6th November 1962.

Bro John Steedman No 83 was passed to the Fellow Craft Freemason and welcomed by the Brethren.

A motion that the Byelaws be amended in the following respects was passed:

1. That Law I (1) St John's Chapel St John Street be deleted and the following substituted "The Celtic Chapel in the Lawnmarket"

2. That Law  I (1) "Tuesday be deleted and the following substituted and Third Tuesday"

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form. 

13th November 1962. 

Brother Secretary reported that the date for the Consecration had been fixed for the 15th January 1963 and that the Grand Master Mason Lord Bruce would officiate on this occasion.

 

20th November 1962.

Bro John Strachan was Raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and thanked by the RWM for being an excellent stand in and was very warmly applauded by the Brethren.  

A plaque of Robert Burns was presented to the Celtic Lodge by Bro Glass of St James Operative Lodge No 97. The RWM thanked Bro Glass for his kind Gift. There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

 

4th December 1962.

Bro John Steedman Martin No 83 was raise to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

8th January 1963

The RWM and the Brethren met in the Thistle Room Brodies Close Lawnmarket.

Brother Alex Bade proposed that the Thistle Badge should be adopted as the lodge Medal seconded by Brother J Grant and approved by the committee.

Brother Secretary suggested that Honorary Membership to be conferred on Brother Wm Kinnear RWM Canongate Kilwinning No 2 the Lodge was warmly received.

Brother White reported on the arrangements for the Church Service to be held in the Highland in St John’s Tollbooth Church Lawnmarket on Sunday 3rd March 1963 final arrangements were approved.

15th January 1963

Ceremony of consecration of the Celtic Chapel in the Lawnmarket Edinburgh on Tuesday 15th January 1963 this being the day appointed for the Ceremony of Consecration of the Celtic Chapel by: -

Lord Bruce Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason of Scotland Grand Lodge Entered in Procession accompanied by: -

RT Hon Sir John Grieg Dunbar Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh. The Grand Master Mason opened Grand Lodge in the 1st passed to the 2nd and raised to the 3rd.

Grand Chaplain Brother Reverend Andrew Buchan offered prayers that the Members of the Celtic Lodge on this supreme night in its History would dedicate them selves to the tenets of Freemasonry and the will of the Grand Architect of the Universe.

The Consecration Hymn was sung by the Office Bearers of Grand Lodge and arranged in procession by Grand Director of Ceremonies.

Brother Harry De Lorey First verse 23rd Psalm the Grand Master Mason was presented with the Vessel of Wine and after pouring the Wine dedicated the Temple to Virtue.

Grand Chaplain Pronounced a Benediction The Celtic Lodge was the opened in the First Degree by Right Worshipful Master Brother William A Grieg.

Thereafter the Grand Master Mason addressed the Brethren expressing the delight and privilege giving to Grand Lodge to come and consecrate this beautiful Chapel and wish the Members of the Celtic Lodge every success and happiness in their Mew Home.

The Psalm Now Blessed be the Lord Our God was sung thereafter the Grand Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

 

The Celtic Lodge  was then opened in the first Degree and the RWM Bro William A Greig extended a warm welcome to Brother Lord Bruce the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason and thanked him for the wonderful and dignified manner in which he and the member of his deputation from Grand Lodge had worked the ceremony of Consecration and Chapel. As a token of the Celtic Lodge's gratitude and appreciation presented Bro Lord Bruce with a Golden tie pin in the shape of a Thistle the emblem of our Lodge.

A Church Service would be held on Sunday 3rd February 1963 at 3.pm in the Highland Tolbooth St John Church Lawnmarket. All the Metropolitan District Lodges have been invited.

Brother William Kinnear RWM Lodge Canongate Kilwinning No 2 and various deputations and Affiliations and Allegiance and Loyalty to grand Lodge were given by the RWM the Brethren then adjourned to the Thistle Room where the following Toasts were honoured-

The Queen - RWM.

The Craft - RWM.

The Grand Lodge of Scotland

Dear Sir to assure the Most Worshipful it is with pleasure and Mystic Honours that the Celtic Lodge have had this evening hoped to carry on the most honourable tradition in Freemasonry by the opening of our new Lodge and hope to continue in time honoured tradition and benevolence to the Craft and it was a privilege to attend the Consecration and Ceremony and sum 500 brethren from various Lodges attended on such a memorable occasion the evening went on till the Mystic hour when the body of the Lodge remembered absent brethren and those who had passed to Grand Lodge above The National Anthem was sang and the brethren retired.

 

Historical Notes:

In November 1945. The Celtic Lodge purchased from the Town & Gown Society a parcel of properties which included a Lawnmarket frontage from Buchanan's Court to point which is now the entrance to the Carnegie Central Library.

 

It also includes the historic buildings in Brodie's Close which were scheduled for preservation.

As the whole properties were more that the Celtic Lodge required. It was decided to gift to the City of Edinburgh the buildings fronting the Lawnmarket and which have now been transformed into The Carnegie Central Library and the Lothians and Peebles Constabulary H Q.

 

The task of raising the necessary capital for the restoration and adaptation of the historic buildings in Brodie's Close started off well enough, but as time went on and took toll of some of our more enthusiastic Members. it began to look as though our ambitions might never be realised.

 

However the desire of our good friends and Landlords - Canongate Kilwinning Lodge No 2 to keep their Lodge-rooms for themselves, it was the spark required to fire again our desire for a home of our own.

 

An appeal to the Historic Buildings Council for Scotland for financial assistance was successful in March 1960 and after the preliminary work of planning and money-raising. Operations commenced in July 1961.

 

The Celtic Lodge buildings consist of the East and West properties in Brodie's Close and the arched property linked these. The West building consisting of the Chapel.

The Thistle Room and the Lower Hall and it has many interesting features such as the Ornate plaster ceilings dated 1645-1646; the Wooden ceiling with figured design which authorities dat eat around 1575;

The 24" stone turnpike stair; the open stone 16th century fire place and hand-carved wooden surround to the late 16th century fireplace in the Master's Room.

 

The North part of the Lower hall, called the Crypt is no doubt the Oldest part of our properties.

Long before the Close became Brodie's Close, it was owned by One Mauchan and called Mauchan's Close (1511) and it is on record that his Land adjoined the Hospice of the Cambuskenneth Monks, who carried out their charitable work on this site in the 14th Century.

Although difficult to ascertain and it is very likely that the restored arch and vault dates back to between 1300-1400.

It is interesting to note that the Thistle Room - or Refectory was used many years ago as a Masonic Lodge Room.

The Room above now the Celtic Chapel was the Lodge Keeper's house. Records  form the Celtic Lodge Minutes confirm that the Celtic Lodge held their meetings here from April 1830 till November 1832 also that the Roman Eagle CLX No 160 also rented these Rooms from St Andrews Lodge No 48 in 1838 for one year only.

 

The East building comprising of the Main Entrance, the Cloakrooms  Kitchen ect; it is possibly not as Old as the Eest building but we know from early Street Directories that this was in 1829 the Workshop of William Christie a Wright.

 

In 1780 Deacon Brodie's father Francis Brodie carried on a business of Wright in the Close possibly within the same walls.

In May 1821 the Celtic Lodge held its first meeting in the Old Freemason's Hall in the Cowgate.

Since then the Celtic Brethren have met in many different places in particular the Turf Hotel. No 3 Princes Street Now the North British Hotel from 1843 till 1861.

No doubt having established itself in a home of its own. the Celtic Lodge will live up to the great traditions of its past and continue to enjoy the teachings of Freemasonry.

The RWM  Wardens and Brethren of the Celtic Lodge E & L 291.

In occupying the Celtic Chapel in the Lownmarket we the Brethren of the Celtic Lodge are deeply grateful and wish to record their heartfelt thanks to two very worthy Brethren of this Lodge. Bro Andrew M Ross for his unflagging and stimulating enthusiasm at all times that we should occupy these premises and to Bro Alexander R Bade who with the late Colonel Warden purchased the Building in 1945 and who has been responsible for planning Building and furnishing these beautiful Lodge Rooms purpose The Celtic Chapel which would never become the reality it is to-day and that we are only the caretakers for those who have yet to come.

5th February 1963

Candidate’s Name Mr Charles Fisher Police Constable.

DOB ** **  36 Years Old.

Address ** ** ** **

Proposed By Brother Andrew M Ross.

Seconded By Andrew James Ross

First or Entered 5th February 1963. Second or Fellow 19th February 1963. Third or Sublime Degree 5th March 1963.

RWM of the Celtic Brother William A Greig.

 

19th February 1963. Bro Charles Fisher No 84 was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

The RWM reminded the Brethren of the up coming Jumble Sale to be held on Friday 22nd February 1963 and the Dance to be held on Friday 15th March 1963.

 

5th March 1963.

Bro Gordon Newton Drummond Smart No 174 was obligated an Affiliate Member of the Celtic Lodge signed the Role of Members and was welcomed by the Brethren.

Bro Charles Fisher was raised to the sublime Degree of Master Mason.

Bro Secretary read a letter of thanks from the REV Mcleod Minister of the Highland Tolbooth St John's Church for the Donation to the Church fund.

A letter was also read from Bro William Kinnear RWM of Canongate Kilwinning Lodge No 2 for the Honour we conferred on him of Honorary Membership Bro William also enclosed a Cheque as a donation to the Celtic Lodge Building Funds.

The Bro Secretary intimated anyone who wishes an entry form for the McIvor Golf Trophy should apply to him for the same.

 

19th March 1963.

The Mark Master Bro James Grant PM constituted a Mark Lodge and the Mark Degree was conferred on Bro Jeffrey Hunter No 80 and Bro David Ross of Roman Eagle Lodge CLX No 160 and both were welcomed by the Brethren.

 

2nd April 1963

A Deputation from the Eldon Lodge No 3187 from Newcastle Upon Tyne was presented to the East.

Mr Donald Kirby No 55 and Mr Alex Speight No 56 were made Entered Apprentice Freemasons in our midest this evening and welcomed by the Brethren.

16th April 1963.

Mr Andrew Armitage Shivas No 87 and Mr Robert Milne No 88 were made Entered Apprentice in our midst this evening and welcomed by the Brethren. 

The Brethren were reminded of the whist drive social to be held in the Lodge Rooms on Friday 24th May 1963.

 

5th September 1963. 

Bro Donald Kirby No85 and Bro Alex Skeight No 86 were passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and Welcomed by the Brethren.

 

1st October 1963.

Bro Andrew Armitage Shivas No 87 and Bro Robert Milne No 88 were passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

1th October 1963.

General Committee Meeting.

The Minutes of the last Meeting held on 24th September 1963 were read and approved. Bro Sharkey reported on his correspondence with the Bank regarding the overdraft.

Bro Alex Bade reported on the balance of accounts which were now almost complete.

The overall position being:

Over Draft at Date £2,038. Bal of Accounts. £2,500 - £3,000.

Loans to Brewers £2,000.

            A debit of: £6,500. - £7,000.

Bro Harkness of Marys Chapel Lodge No 2 Donated a coffin for use in the Third Degree.

The Bro Secretary was instructed to write and thank Bro Harkness for his gift. 

 

29th October 1963.

General Committee.

Bro George Sankey reported on the meeting with himself and Bro Bade with the Bank Manager Mr Gibson. 

The following points were discussed:

The Celtic Lodge required a further Loan of £3,000 Our accounts would be completed shortly when we would be able to budget our repayments over 10 Years.

After some discussion it was evident that we would have to increase our overdraft to £5,000 or alternatively be in Credit to £7,000. To enable us to repay the Brewery Loan. More can be found on page 245.

 

5th November 1963.

Mr Gordon Murray Jamieson No 89 was made an Entered Apprentice Freemason and welcomed by the Brethren.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due form.

 

19th November 1963.

Bro Gordon Murray Jamieson No 89 was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

3rd December 1963.

Bro Robert Milne No 88 and Bro Gordon Murray Jamieson were raised to the Sublime Degree of a Mster Mason and were welcomed by the Brethren.

 

21st January 1964. The RWIM Bro William Mitchell Installed Bro Andrew M Ross as Organist.

Mr James Sinclair Gebbie Johnston No 90 was made an Entered Apprentice Freemason and was welcomed by the Brethren.

 

31st January 1964.

The Celtic Lodge 291.

Welcome tae the Celtic Lodge Burns Supper and Jig in the Thistle Room Brodie's Close Lawnmarket.

At 7.30pm prompt. Ticket 10/- Each.

Enter the Haggis.

Address to the Haggis Bro William McKenzie Reid. 

Grace. "We Ha'e Meat An We Can Eat" Oh, Thou who kindly dost provide For every Creature's want ! We Bless Thee God of Nature Wide. For all thy goodness lent.

Supper. Toasts The Queen RWM Bro Alex R Bade.

Oration Bro George Watt. Toast to the Speaker. Bro Alex R Bade. Toast to the Lassies Bro W R Platt.

Toast to the Visitors Bro William Douglas White. Reply to the Speaker Bro George Watt.

Reply to the Lassies Ann Mitchell. Reply for the Visitors Bro Lewis Simpson. Stewards and Chairman Bro T K Francis.

The Supper Het Kail - Wi Sowpes o' kail and brats o' claes. Cock-a-Leekie.

The Haggis. That wad tempt a saint. Wi Champit Tatties an' Neeps.

Nips tae, if ye ha'e a Bottle.

Niest Cauld. Auld Reekie Trifle' Oatcakes or Bannocks wi Cheese. Tea or Coffee.

The Evening was a great success The RWM wished all a Safe journey home and finished with God Save our Gracious Queen. Then Auld Lang Syne.

 

4th February 1964.

Bro D o C introduced and presented to the RWM a Deputation from the Roman Eagle Lodge CLX headed by their RWM Bro Ridgway and accompanied by PMs Wight and Cockburn.

The Minutes of meeting held on 28th January 1964 were read and approved.

Bro James Sinclair Gebbie Johnston No 90 was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

18th February 1964.

The RWM reported that the Bank had given us further facilities.

Mr Duncan McCallum No 91 and Mr Alexander Bruce No 92 were made Entered Apprentice Freemasons Signed the Roll of Members and welcomed by the Brethren.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due form.

 

3rd March 1964.

The Minutes of the Meeting held on18th February 1964 were read and approved.

Bro Duncan McCallum No 91 and Bro Alexander Bruce were passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

Bro William J Mitchell intimated that  a Social evening would be held on Saturday 21st  March 1964 at 7.30pm.

A Jumble Sale on Friday 3rd Apr1964 at 7.30pm and articles for the same will be received on Thursday evening.

A Grand Dance will be held on Wednesday 29th April 1964 details of which will be intimated in the billet.

 

17th March 1964. The Candidate for the Third Degree was tested and retired along with Bro Bruce a Fellow Craft Freemason. The Lodge was Raised thereafter.

Bro James Sinclair Gebbie Johnston was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

Bro Alex Bade was thanked for his generous gift of a Light Dimmer which had been installed in the Chapel.

 

7th April 1964.

The Bro Secretary read a circular from the Metropolitan District Masonic Bowling Association.

A Mark Degree was worked this evening.

RWMM Bro F Calder Sibbald conferred the Mark Degree on Bro Robert Milne No 88 Bro Donald Kirbey No 85 Bro James Sinclair Gebbie Johnston No 90.

The Bro Secretary read a few interesting and amusing snippets from the Minutes of the year 1830.

 

21st April 1964. The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

Bro D of C introduced and presented the RWM a Deputation from the Eldon Lodge No 3187 E C headed by W M Bro G March.

The RWM extended a cordial welcome to the Eldon Lodge on their Annual visitation to the Celtic Lodge.

Bro Duncan McCallum No 91 was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

23rd April 1964

An Exhibition to be held during the Festival in aid of the News Paper Press Fund Centenary Appeal to be held in the Thistle Room It was agreed a fee of £70.00 Pounds for the fortnight be Charged for both halls.

The RWM read a letter from the County Council expressing an interest in part of the Lodge Building for the Council’s expansion scheme and a compensatory proposal A Committee was elected to look into this matter re County Officials viz RWM Brother Alex Bade- J R Sibbald- W D White- T K Francis Secretary.

23rd April 1964 Continued This day the committee of the Celtic Lodge met when they unanimously agreed to have a Ball on the 29th April 1964 to commemorate this event which took place 134 years ago when in the 12th April 1830 the Celtic Brethren and their good Lady wife’s and friends attended a Grand Ball at St Andrew’s Lodge 304 Lawnmarket Brodies Close Edinburgh Tickets of admission was 7/- shillings and 6d pence each or 90 old pennies at that time 240 old pennies to the Pound this being 13th June 2009 (WJRB) now on the 29th April 1964 the Celtic Lodge after many trials and tribulation are to celebrate the Commemoration Ball in the Thistle Suite at their New home in Brodies Close Lawnmarket the price of the tickets being 15/- shillings and 6d pennies see if you can calculate how many old pennies or how it would relate to our currency in 2009 The RWM Brother Alexander Bade and other members and their wife’s dressed in the traditional clothes of the 1830s they arrived at the Lodge in a Horse and Carriage and with all the pomp and circumstance of a very successful evening the many distinguished guests and  Masters-Past Masters-Brethren along with the beautiful and traditional dress the Ladies looked splendid the evening was most enjoyable and they danced into to the small hours after many toasts and speeches the Mystic night was closed.

 

6th October 1964.

The RWM thanked all those Brethren who helped to make the Anniversary Ball held on the 29th April such a great success and all those who dressed in the period of 130 years ago.

The Derby Draw had been very successful and the RWM thanked Bro Iain MacMillan and those who had assisted him in this effort.

The Flannel Dance held in June was also a successful Social occasion.

The RWM reported that the Collection Box had been stolen and was recovered in a badly damaged condition.

The Coffee morning during the Festival was also very successful it raised the grand Sum of £165. of which £92. was raised from the sale of Coffees thanks to the Staff of Wife's.

The Annual Golf Match with Canongate Kilwinning Lodge No 2 on the 22nd of June the result was that the Celtic Brethren had Won the Walden Trophy for the first time in many years the RWM thanked Bro Stanley Smith our Golf Secretary and  his team for this great achievement.

Bro Alexander Bruce was raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

15th October 1964.

The RWM intimated that he proposed to Honour Br James R Sibbald PM and Andrew M Ross organist with Distinguished Service Memberships this was most warmly applauded by the Brethren. This was carried out on the 20th November 1964.

 

20th October 1964. The Bro Secretary read a letter from the W M of the Eldon Lodge No 3187 inviting a Deputation to visit Newcastle on Friday 13th November 1964.

Mr Hector McLean No 93 was made an Entered Apprentice Freemason and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

3rd November 1964.

RWM Bro Alexander Robertson Bade presiding and other Office Bearers and Brethren as per the attendance book.

Mr William Blows No 94 and Mr Graham Lilly No 95 were made Entered Apprentice Freemasons signed the Roll of Members and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

17th November 1964. Regular Meeting.

Bro Hector MacLean No 93 and Bro Graham Lilly No 95 were passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

The Bro IPM reminded the Brethren of the Sale of Work to be held on the 28th November 1964 and required their enthusiastic support for the Sale.

 

1st December 1964.

The Minutes of the meeting held on 17th November 1964 were read and approved.

Bro Hector MacLean was raided to the Sublime Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

The Lodge proceeded to the Election of Office Bearers for the year 1964-1965 and on the motion of the RWM and seconded by Bro Douglas White PM the Brethren unanimously elected Bro Sidney Yeoman as the Right Worshipful Master.

Bro Sidney Yeoman thanked the Brethren for the high honour they had bestowed on I'm and that he would carry out the duties in true Celtic Lodge tradition.

Bro Alexander Bade RWM expressed his thanks for all the support shown to him during the past year to each and everyone of the Brethren.

 

15th December 1964

Installation and Festival of St John Brother Alexander R Bade was Presiding and other Office Bearers and Brethren as per attendance book.

The Lodge was honoured by a visit from Brother Duncan Lowe PM the Watsonian Lodge No 1375 Member of the Metropolitan District Committee who was received in due and solemn form.

The RWIM declared all Offices Vacant and appointed his WSO and WJW Director of Ceremonies and Inner Guard.

The usual charges and regulations were read and ascended to by Brother Sidney Yeoman who thereupon took the Oath.

Thereafter Brother Sidney Yeoman was Installed as the Second Right Worshipful Master in our new Lodge.

The Board of Installed Masters being closed the Lodge was resumed The Charter was entrusted to the RWM for safe keeping and copies of the Constitution and Laws of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and the Lodge Special Bye Laws were Presented to the RWM.

The RWM Presented Brother Alexander Robertson Bade with the Jewel of IPM.

The RWM nominated Brother F Calder Sibbald PM as his Depute.

Brother James Grant proceeded to install the following Office Bearers. IPM Brother Alexander Robertson Bade PM

Brother F Calder Sibbald

Depute Master

Brother Arthur Owen Hazel

Substitute Master

Brother Robert B Smith

Senior Warden

Brother Stanley Smith

Junior Warden

Brother Thomas King Francis

Secretary

Brother Gordon N D Smart

Treasurer

Brother Wm J Mitchell

Almoner

Brother P Stewart Paton

Chaplain

Brother George Whittle

Senior Deacon

Brother William McNeil

Junior Deacon

Brother John Strachin

Architect

Brother Iain C Macmillan

Jeweller

Brother Thomas Kinnaird

Bible Bearer

Brother William A Greig PM

Director of Ceremonies

Brother W Douglas White PM

Poet Laureate

Brother Jeffrey Hunter

Standard Bearer

Brother Alec Speight

Standard Bearer

Brother Robert Milne

Sword Bearer

Brother George Hunter

Director of Music

Brother Andrew M Ross

Organist

Brother Andrew J Ross

Piper

Brother James Grant PM

Marshal

Brother Joseph Archbold

Inner Guard

Brother Alexander F Preacher

Tyler

Brother James Swanson PM

President of Stewards

The RWIM then Address the RWM Wardens and Brethren and Presented the Mallet to the RWM.

The RWM Presented the Mallet to Brother Harry De Lorey who addressed the brethren saying how delighted he was to be with us again and his special association with the Celtic Lodge during the past year.

 

19th January 1965

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form.

The following attendances at Sister Lodges were reported:

Bro Greig to the Rifle Lodge No 405.

On the 28th December 1964 Bro Alex R Bade IPM reported he attended the Installation at Marys Chapel Lodge No1.

The Ceremony was Conducted by Lord Bruce.

Assisted by the Lord Provost Bro Wetherstone also present was:

The Lord Mayor of London Bro James Miller onetime Lord provost of Edinburgh.

 

Brother William Laird reported on a visit to New York World fair and while crossing the Atlantic on board the ship a Masonic Lodge meeting was held over 40 members attended from all over the British Isles.

The Chief Purser was in the Chair and in the evening the Ladies were entertained and Mrs Laird expressed the thanks of the ladies for an enjoyable evening.

Brother Laird visited the Masonic stand at the New York World's Fair also visited many other stands they were amassed the many wonders created for the World Fair.

The Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.

 

2nd February 1965.

Bro Alexander Johnstone Hannay No 176 was Obligated an Affiliate Member of the Celtic Lodge signed the Roll of Membership and was welcomed by the Brethren.

Bro William Blows No 94 and Bro Robert Bryon Smith No 96 were passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

The Brethren were informed that the Ladies would be running a whist Drive on Saturday 20th February 1965.

Also a Jumble Sale would be held on Friday 26th February 1965 the RWM requested the Brethren give their full support.

 

16th February 1965

Bro Angus William McKay No 175 was Obligate an Affiliate Member of the Celtic Lodge Signed the Roll of Members and was welcomed by the Brethren.

Bro William Blows No 94 Bro Graham Lilly No 95 Bro Robert Brydon Smith No 96 were raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Masons and welcomed by the Brethren. 2nd March 1965. 16th March 1965 6th April 1965 Mr Charles Pringle Burns was Entered Passed and raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

2nd March 1965.

The Minutes of the meeting held on the 16th February 1965 were read and approved.

Mr Charles Pringle Burbs No 97 was made an Entered Apprentice on the 16th March 1965 he was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and on the 6th April 1965 was Raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and was welcomed by the Brethren.

 

20th April 1965. Mark Degree Bro F Calder Sibbald PM RWMM the Mark Degree was conferred on the following Brethren:

Bro Alex Speight No 86 Bro Gordon Jameson No 89 Bro Alex Bruce No 92 Bro Hector McLean No 93 Bro  William Blows 94

Bro Graham Lilly No 95 Bro Robert Bryon Smith No 96 Bro Charles P Burns No 97

Bro James Farquhar from Solomon Lodge No 1209 were made Mark Master Masons and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

30th April 1965.

Mr Alistair Easson No 98 was made an Entered Apprentice Freemason and welcomed by the Brethren.

 

5th October 1965.

During the Summer recess on the 7th May a Concert by the Scottish Heritage Society organised by Bro Bruce and a Sum of £15.00 was donated to the building fund.

28th May Flannel Dance and Derby Draw and thanks to Bro McMillan the Draw raised the Sum of £47.00.

During the Festival the Ladies raised the Sum of £108.00 with the sale of Teas and Coffees Bringing their total to date £2,134. The RWM Wardens and Brethren thanked all the Ladies involved in raising the Funds. Bro Alistair Easson was passed to the Fellow Craft Degree and welcomed by the Brethren.

7th December 1965 

Third installation and festival of St John held within the Celtic Chapel in the Lawnmarket Brodies Close Edinburgh.

RWM Brother Sidney Yeoman was Presiding and other Office Bearers and Brethren as per Attendance Book.

The Lodge was opened in due and solemn form The RWM extended a warm welcome to all visiting Brethren and Brother Rutherford RWM of Lodge Melrose St John No 1 was invited to the East as the representative of the many distinguished visitors present this being the evening of the Installation.

The usual charges and regulations were read and ascended to by Brother Alexander Robertson Bade who thereupon took the Oath.

Thereafter Brother Arthur Owen Hazel was Installed as the Third Right Worshipful Master in our new Lodge The Board of Installed Masters being closed the Lodge was resumed The Charter was entrusted to the RWM for safe keeping and copies of the Constitution and Laws of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and the Lodge Special Bye Laws were Presented to the RWM.

The RWM Presented Brother Sidney Yeoman PM with the Jewel of IPM.

The RWM nominated Brother James Grant as his Depute.

Brother William J Mitchell proceeded to install the following Office Bearers.

Brother James Grant

Depute Master

Brother Robert B Smith

Substitute Master

Brother Stanley Smith

Senior Warden

Brother George Whittle

Junior Warden

Brother Thomas King Francis

Secretary

Brother Gordon N D Smart

Treasurer

Brother Wm J Mitchell PM

Almoner

Brother Robert Milne

Chaplain

Brother Joseph Archbold

Senior Deacon

Brother Alec Speight

Junior Deacon

Brother George Hunter

Architect

Brother Iain C Macmillan

Jeweller

Brother Gordon Jamieson

Bible Bearer

Brother F Calder Sibbald PM

Director of Ceremonies

Brother Alex Bruce

Poet Laureate

Brother James Mitchell

Standard Bearer

Brother Abraham Cargill

Standard Bearer

Brother Angus McKay

Sword Bearer

Brother Gavin Spiers

Director of Music

Brother Andrew M Ross

Organist

Brother Andrew J Ross

Piper

Brother William Greig PM

Brother George Sankey PM

Marshal

Physician

Brother Graham Lilly

Inner Guard

Brother Alexander F Preacher

Tyler

Brother James Swanson PM

President of Stewards

The RWIM then Address the RWM Wardens and Brethren and Presented the Mallet to the RWM.

The RWM Presented the Mallet to Brother Harry De Lorey who addressed the brethren saying how delighted he was to be with us again and his special association with the Celtic Lodge during the past year.

Brother Graham Lilly of the Celtic Lodge presented Two Glass Decanters which he had Engraved in Memory of his Father the late John Lilly the decanters had been in the MacMillan Family for many years and Brother Graham Lilly whished that his Father in Law Bro Iain MacMillan be associated with this Gift to the Lodge.

The Secretary read a letter from Grand Secretary in support of Grand Almoners Appeal to Daughter Lodges with regard to the Special Collection in Aid of the Benevolent Funds of Grand Lodge in terms of Law No 171.

There being no further business the Lodge was closed in due and solemn form.